For children, protecting their teeth is vital for their growth. A healthy set of teeth can help them eat and speak properly without any worries or issues. It can assist in building a good foundation that can benefit the children while growing up.
Dentistry already has multiple dental treatments offers that can help in the prevention of dental complications to protect the teeth and other oral structures. One option is Mouthguards that is beneficial not only for children but also to adults. It is worn over the teeth to protect it from hard blows from contact sports or excessive teeth grinding during sleep.
Our experts at East Cobb Family Dentistry are committed to providing only the best treatments for all of our patients. We want to protect their smiles while enjoying the things they love like sports and also to help them get the sufficient sleep they need for their daily activities.
- American Dental Association (ADA) recommends athletes to wear mouthguards when playing contact sports. There is also some research conducted by ADA that athletes are 60 times more likely to damage their teeth while playing sports or other physical activities. There are more than 20 sports that are listed that highly recommends wearing mouthguards to prevent damaging of the teeth and other oral structures.
- The first official mouthguard was made by a London dentist named Woolf Krause and called it Gum shield. It was made of Gutta Percha and was used by boxers to prevent any lip lacerations. His son Philip Krause who is also a dentist and an amateur boxer refined the design and developed mouthguards made of Vella rubber. Ever since then, mouthguards have been used during boxing, and it slowly makes its way in the field of dentistry.
- Before creating mouthguards that are made of gutta-percha or Vella rubber, the mouthpieces used during boxing where once made with tapes, cotton, pieces of wood, and even sponge.
- Dr. Clearance Mayer a dentist and a boxing inspector described how can custom mouthguards help and how it can be created from wax and rubber with the support of steel springs.
- Custom-made mouthguards by dentists are the ideal type to be worn compared to over the counter products that can be purchased at a sporting goods shops or drug stores.
- Not only does mouthguards help protect the teeth during sports or other physical activities, but it can also help protect the teeth during excessive teeth grinding and jaw clenching. The condition is called Bruxism, that usually occurs during sleep. Nightguards can help eliminate the wearing of the teeth enamel that can lead to other dental conditions if left unattended.
Mouthguards and Nightguards serve as a preventative dental treatment to help in the protection and preservation of the teeth and other oral structures. Remember that prevention is always better than cure. Children and Adults alike can benefit from the treatment for the maintenance of their excellent overall dental health.
Get added protection to your teeth with Mouthguards in Marietta, GA under our Preventive Services. Book your appointment with East Cobb Family Dentistry! Our dental office is located at 2969 Johnson Ferry Road, Marietta, GA 30062.